Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sundar Mundariyey hoyey............



Here come's lohri...Celebrated on 13 th January every year. My favorite festival but I cannot celebrate it as being in south India no one celebrates and then there are very few punjabi people here... it's not cold here so can't feel the lohri's smell in air :(

Me missing chandigarh and it's lohri celebrations
Me missing my mom n dad.... my sisters with whom I used to fight a lot.

I remember the way we used to celebrate lohri there..
All colony ppl used to pool up and used to make one huge bonfire...
We all used to surround it with elders sitting on chairs and kids used to play having fun... with everyone chanting :

Sunder Munderiye ho.
Tera kaoun Vichara..ho
Dulha bhatti wala ... ho
Dulhey ney tee vihayee ... ho
Sear shakar paayee... ho
Kuri de bojey paayee... ho

People taking parikarma (moving around) the bonfire and then after puja distributing the prasad mostly of til, gur, gajak, moongfally, phulley and pop corn.

having fun and then little kids from nearby used to come and ask for lohri sweets by chanting..

lohri do je lohri....
jeevay teri jordhi...

or the same song sundermunderiye ho..

and when they used to get sweets they used to say bye by chanting..

Dabba bhariyaa leeran da...
eh ghar ameeran da...

or

Baja bai Baja...
Eh ghar Raja...

but if they were denied at someone's house pat comes the reply from those kids..

Hukka bai Hukka...
Eh Ghar Bhukkaa..

What a fun man... Really missing all that.
It was a tradition that compulsory mom will make sarson ka saag and makki ki roti for dinner..

I remember even we used to celebrate lohri in our school and even when in college too...
It was so much fun to celebrate with friends during noon and then wiht family and neighbours ... With the music system playing at it's pitch and all galiwala's dancing till their breathe...

Wish we can celebrate our next lohri with our parents next year..

As am missing lohri I know sachin missing his makkar sakranti very much..
He has told me about his passion for flying kites and how all the family members will gather at terrace and even food was being cooked on terrace. Sachin and his friends would gather and fly kites , play blarring music and have lots of fun.

I wish to see that also....

20 comments:

Fursat said...

me 1st ;-)

Fursat said...

I know you are missing your place..as you told me..

and i was so surprized when you told me that you got boiled groundnuts there..i havnt seen them yet :)

we also used to celebrate in school and college..

i dont knw i ll go to Gonu's place or not..it ll be really late by the time it ll be finish..anyways lets see..

I remember that song u wrote and loved the post :)

Happy Lohri and Makar sakranti to both of you :)

Take care

Viewer said...

Hi Preeti,

First of all happy belated b'day! Although I wanted to check out ur blog many mnay days ago I couldnt do so.

Bu t I must admit that ur hubby is a real romantic to have arranged all that surprisestuff for ur bday. i hope u enjoyed every bit of it :)


makar sankranti - well we have organised a kite flying race / contest(wht ever u call it ) at office. Hope to have fun flying kite :)

Kathy said...

Happy Lohri to you both..Godbless!

bestwishes,
-kathy-

Anonymous said...

wishing u the happiest lohri ever.ur post is too nostalgic.chandigarh te pher saade nere hi hoya.glad to know that:)take care.

Preeti said...

First of all Wishing u both a happy lohri and makar santrantri.
Well Preeti..u said...

>>Me missing chandigarh and it's lohri celebrations
--> Me too missing my place and the festival with the family members.

>>Me missing my mom n dad.... my sisters with whom I used to fight a lot.
-->Me too :-(, I used to wrestle with my sis.

>>It was so much fun to celebrate with friends during noon and then wiht family and neighbours ...
-->We used to have lunch with the family and neighbours on the open terrace, such wonderful moments..

hmmm, so much in common, kar bhi kya sakte hain?...

Anonymous said...

lohri diyan lakh lakh vadaiyaan

Anonymous said...

This is the best post ever. I never knew you were a sardarni. Actually, Neetie told me during chat today. Now, I know three sohni sardarnis (and Sachin bhai can attest that all sardarnis are sohni..he he). You already know Red jee as I see her comment here and another one is Mehak, who I just told about your blog and you should expect her comment soon.

I miss lohri too. I am in Canada and although the Punjabi community is big here, lohri is not that big. You reminded me of my days in Dehradoon. This is indeed a lovely post.

Lohri dee tuhanu dona nu lakh lakh vadhiyan hove.

Anonymous said...

You are my "Pick of the week"!!

Anonymous said...

we had an awesome time yday night....lohri celebrated by FORUM OF SIKH PROFESSIONALS here in b'lore........danced like anything....

R Saini said...

Hi Sachin
U punjabi mate ??
Ya I know what it feels when u miss things in life. And here in london we never come to know what festival has come or gone ? then someone calls from India and wishes us then we think oh! what a shame we are treading away from our customs.
Nice post mate. Punjab Yaad aa gaya . Makki di roti sarson da saag. ohie hoye !!
ummmm ummmm

The Bhandari's said...

@Neetie.. :)congs on coming first Lots of love as ur prize after all u deserve it. Yeah I missed my place very much don't know whether next time also i wud be able to make it there or not....how abt u did u celebrated a t gonu's place or not.
@Viewer... thks buddy :) yeah sachin is like that only. Hope u enjoyed at makkar sakranti too...
@lil kath... thks friend
~preeti

The Bhandari's said...

@red.... yeah that day I was like that only :)
@preeti... thk u and wish u the same
@mehak... thohanu vi vadhaiyaan hon jee
~preeti

The Bhandari's said...

@Ricky... thanks for the honor ricky :)yeah me a sardarnee too :) and beautiful or not that sachin will tell u :)

The Bhandari's said...

@distant_horizon.... thks buddy yeah mehak won't mind :D
@onestopuk....sachin is marwaari...it's me who'z punjabi :) yup punjab rocks

Anonymous said...

First the 'bhandari's said 'is oh so very sweet.. may u guys have all the happiness in life..and though i could not make out all the punjabi(inspite of living in Delhi for 5 years ;-)) but the emotions very understood and reflected.. i missed makar sankranti too...and all the quite festivities and the charm of open skies and gulabi thand..it was chilling out here!
And i do feel place matters a lot but non the less the memories always helps to feel special on festivals .. door jaane se pyar aur aashirvad kahan kam hota hai..i am getting nostalgic myself......

Whats In A Name said...

Hey u forgot..
Loi Loi Lakri..
Jeeye Twadi Bakri..
Bakri te Tota..
Jeeye twada Pota...

:-P

Happy Lohri to both of you...

Regards,
Manish

The Bhandari's said...

@Manish.... lols these were goodones and I didn't knew abt them :)

Dani Tännler said...

Hi. A wonderful post....you write deep from your heart....

Love & Light Danny

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »